Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My next book, Rude Awakening: Perils, Pitfalls, and Hard Truths of the Spiritual Path, is finished and set to be released by John Hunt Publishing on May 25th, 2012. The book is essentially comprised of four sections, the first being a critique of spiritual/transformation work, the second being a description of seven stages of 'inner awakening', the third being a capsule overview of seven sages (Socrates, Jesus, Milarepa, Hakuin Ekaku, Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj, and Yaeko Iwasaki), and the fourth being a series of short pointers. I enjoyed putting this book together, although I should add that it is not 'typical' writing on my part. The style of this book is closer to how I work as a therapist and a workshop facilitator. When I write I tend to operate more through what Gurdjieff called the 'intellectual center', and in my case, that more resembles an academic writing style. Rude Awakening has some of that, especially in presenting the histories of the seven sages, but much of the book is written in a more direct, 'in your face' style, which reflects more accurately my in-person work with my clients and students over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment